The Pacific Northwest is primed for a Cascadia Subduction Zone event that could produce an 8.0+ earthquake at any time. Local and neighborhood participation in early response efforts is the key to saving lives. Please explore the Get Ready portion of this website to learn more about how you can prepare yourself, your family, and your neighbors, as well as receive helpful training tips.
Another way is to volunteer as a neighborhood NET and connect with others who are working hard to make Portland a more resilient community. NETs not only prepare for major disasters, like earthquakes, they also help with local emergency events, like down power line site support, assisting with warming stations, and sandbagging during impending floods.
ABOUT OUR TEAM
The Laurelhurst NET Team is one of the oldest and most active NET groups in the Portland Metro area, and has been active since 1995.
Our Team meetings are the third Wednesday of most months of the year starting at 7pm, and we meet at the All-Saints Parrish Hall at 3847 NE Glisan. All are invited to attend in order to learn about what the NET members will do during an emergency event.
If you already have your own neighborhood organized, a NET member would be happy to attend one of your meetings to discuss partnerships and how NET can best help.
BASIC FIRST STEPS
Planning ahead can help you, your family, and your neighbors stay safe in an emergency. Here are a few tips to get prepared:
- Develop a family communication plan
- Make an emergency supply kit (at least 72-hour kit, if not a week or more)
- Sign up for local emergency alerts and/or get a smartphone app (like American Red Cross apps) to stay informed
- Learn where your home utilities (water, electricity, gas) are located and how to shut them off
WHAT’S NEAR LAURELHURST?
- Laurelhurst neighborhood is served by Portland Fire and Rescue Stations #9 and #28.
- Providence Portland Medical Center is at 4805 NE Glisan Street.
- Portland Police, Traffic Division East and Multnomah County Sheriff Office, Special Investigations Unit are at 4735 E Burnside.